Be Ambitious, Be Seen, Be Celebrated!
The World Illustration Awards 2020 are now open for entry! Continue reading to find out everything you need to know on entering this internationally-acclaimed competition open to all professional and new talent illustrators living and working in any country.
Delivered by the Association of Illustrators (AOI) in partnership with Directory of Illustration, this high-profile competition built on 45 years of tradition is known for providing participants with significant, career-boosting exposure. Judged by distinguished professionals from the global illustration industry, the awards for 2020 will include ten exciting, refreshed categories:
Advertising, Alternative Publishing, Book Covers, Children’s Publishing, Commercial Publishing, Design, Product & Packaging, Editorial, Exploratory, Science & Technology, and Site Specific.
2020 Prizes & Awards
- Overall Professional Winner sponsored by Winsor & Newton: One of the eight Professional Category Winners will be named as the WIA2020 Overall Professional Winner. They will win a generous cash prize of £2,000, and a two-page marketing package in the Directory of Illustration, valued at $4,330 US Dollars, including a 100-image professional portfolio on directoryofillustration.com
- Overall New Talent Winner sponsored by Winsor & Newton: One of the eight New Talent Category Winners will be named as the WIA2020 Overall New Talent Winner. They will win a generous cash prize £1,000, and a copy of the Directory of Illustration.
- Professional and New Talent Category Winners: All 20 Category Winners (one New Talent and one Professional per category) will receive a WIA Trophy, an enhanced entry in the catalogue, a profile feature on the AOI website, and a complimentary AOI membership for one year with all the benefits this brings including business advice, discounted online portfolio and Varoom subscription.
- Professional and New Talent Highly Commended in each category: 20 Highly Commended Projects (one New Talent and one Professional per category) will receive a WIA Certificate.
- AOI Member Award: Selected from any AOI Member shortlisted for WIA2020. The winner will receive a complimentary year-long membership plus folio, a copy of the Guide to Law and the current Directories, worth £296.95, a WIA Certificate and profile feature on the AOI website.
- SAA (Society of Artists Agents) Agents Award for New Talent: All shortlisted New Talent entries will be eligible for the SAA Agents Award for New Talent, offering the winner a six month trial representation with one of the leading SAA Illustration agents, which will include mentoring and career development. During that time, the winner will also benefit from having their work showcased on the SAA’s website and across their social media platforms. The winner will also be presented with a WIA certificate and profile feature on the AOI website.
- DI (Directory of Illustration) Award: The DI Award winner will receive a single page marketing package in the Directory of Illustration, valued at $2,695 US Dollars. The program includes a 100-image professional portfolio on directoryofillustration.com plus a one-on-one consultation with a professional Directory of Illustration marketing consultant on how to best present your work to the American market. The winner will also be presented with a WIA certificate and profile feature on the AOI website.
*NEW FOR 2020* 500 illustrators will be longlisted for the Awards:
- All 500 longlisted projects will feature on the AOI website on a dedicated page.
- Selected projects will be showcased across the AOI’s social media platforms.
200 shortlisted projects will be selected from the longlist. Shortlisted illustrators will:
- WIA Innovation Award: One shortlisted project will be selected for a new WIA Innovation Award, to be awarded for a project displaying considerable innovation and experimentation with the artform. It will be judged by at least two jury members. The winner will be presented with a WIA certificate and profile feature on the AOI website.
How to Enter
- Call for Entries is open from December 2019 until 18 February 2020 – Click Here to register your account on the AOI competition entry page.
- Click Here for answers to FAQs (frequently asked questions).
- Click Here to read the full Terms & Conditions for entering the competition.
- Click Here for a 10 Step Guide through the entry process from start to finish.