The deadline to enter the World Illustration Awards 2019 is fast approaching, and we’re here to tell you everything you need to know to enter this internationally-renowned competition!
The Directory of Illustration is pleased to once again partner with the Association of Illustrators (AOI) to present this year’s prestigious awards. Work can be submitted to eight categories—Advertising, Books, Children’s Books, Design, Editorial, Experimental, Research, and Site-Specific. Each category will be judged by a panel of experts, whom we introduced in our recent blog post.
There are several amazing prizes to be awarded this year! Among them is the Overall Professional Winner, Overall New Talent Winner, and the Professional and New Talent Category Winners. There are also three new awards for 2019:
The Directory of Illustration Award winner will be selected by the senior Directory of Illustration management and marketing team from the WIA 2019 shortlist.
- DI (Directory of Illustration) Award — The Directory of Illustration Award winner will be selected by the senior Directory of Illustration management and marketing team from the WIA 2019 shortlist. The winner will receive a single-page marketing package in the Directory of Illustration No. 36, valued at $2,695 US Dollars. The program includes a 100-page professional portfolio on directoryofillustration.com, plus a one-on-one consultation with a professional Directory of Illustration marketing consultant on how to best present your work to the American market. The winner will also be presented with a WIA certificate and a profile feature on the AOI website.
- AOI Member Award — Any shortlisted AOI member is eligible to win. The winner will receive a complimentary year-long membership with Folio, a copy of the Guide to Law and the current Directories, a WIA Certificate and a profile feature on the AOI website
- SAA (Society of Artists Agents) Award for New Talent — Eligible for all shortlisted New Talent entries. The winner is given a six-month trial representation with an SAA Illustration agent, and his or her work will be showcased on the SAA’s website and social media platforms. The winner will also receive a WIA certificate and profile feature on the AOI website.
Keep reading to learn how to enter the WIA 2019 and get the scoop on some frequently asked questions! To see additional FAQs, visit the AOI website.
HOW TO ENTER:
To enter, you must have an AOI account. Click here to register or log in. To submit your work, navigate back to the entry form to enter your details and upload your image(s). Make sure that your images are good quality and that the “Brief” and “Title” fields are completed in entirety—the judges will see some of the information you enter, and a great description can make all the difference in your entry!
When can I enter?
Entries are accepted until January 31st, 2019 (until the end of the day in your local time zone).
What can I enter?
Your best illustrations, in any medium and in any format! The work must have been created or published after January 1st, 2018, and does not have to be commissioned.
Check out last year’s shortlist and winners to get a sense of the type of work that has been recognized in the past. Everything from animations, GIFs, VR environments, murals, textiles and more are acceptable and encouraged! Work commissioned by the AOI cannot be entered into the Awards.
Which category should I choose?
You can enter into any of the eight categories. Different projects may be entered into different categories, or the same project can be entered into different categories. You can only choose one category per entry.
How much does it cost to enter and how do I pay?
Entry fees can be paid in three currencies: US Dollars ($), GB Pounds (£), and Euros (€). Any other currency will be converted by your card issuer at point of payment. Entry payments are preferably made online via the AOI website, but if this is not possible, the AOI can issue an invoice and accept payment via BACS.
The entry fees are:
- $33 (USD) per Single Entry // $60 (USD) per Multiple Entry
- £25 (GBP) per Single Entry // £45 (GBP) per Multiple Entry (inclusive of VAT)
- €30 (EURO) per Single Entry // €54 (EURO) per Multiple Entry (inclusive of VAT)
What happens if I’m shortlisted?
Shortlisted entries will:
- Be featured on the AOI website on a dedicated page, with selected projects promoted across the AOI’s social media.
- Be presented in a printed full color catalogue, which is distributed to over 1,300 commissioners worldwide.
- Be featured in a major survey Exhibition in central London.
- Receive incredible exposure across the WIA digital and real-world networks.
Shortlisted illustrators also benefit from:
- An invitation to attend the Awards Evening, a highlight of the illustration industry event calendar.
- A complimentary copy of the WIA 2019 catalogue.
- An exclusive discount on AOI membership with Folio for one year.
What are you waiting for? The deadline to enter is January 31st, 2019.
ENTER TODAY: worldillustrationawards.com